The Regional Council is developed to establish a network between ISAM Affiliate Societies with an organizational governance to motivate and promote grassroot communication and leadership development around the globe. Regional representation of needs, priorities, education, advocacy, and recommendations to the ISAM Board of Directors would thus be enhanced.
The regional representatives reflect their own area of influence inclusive of overall 15 regions as follows: Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Northern Europe, North America, Central America and Mexico, South America, East Asia, West Asia, Central Asia, South & South-east Asia, North Africa, East, West & South Africa and finally Oceania.
The ISAM Regional Council consists of:
(1) The Regional Council Chair:
Hamed Ekhtiari (University of Minnesota, USA)
(2) ISAM Regional Representatives:
Rabia Bilici (Eastern Europe), Sophia Achab (Western Europe), Jona Levola (Northern Europe), Dario Gigena Parker (South America), Wei Hao (East Asia), Atul Ambekar (South & Southeast Asia), Solomon Rataemane (East, West & South Africa), Shalini Arunogiri (Oceania), David Martell (Canada), Rania Mamdouh (North and West Africa)
The ISAM Regional Council plays a crucial role in connecting societies/organisations within the ISAM community with organising meetings, and workshops in respective time zones and following up with viable workstreams. Regional representatives or ambassadors have an essential and upfront role in promoting communication and leadership development at a regional and global level in addiction sciences.
ISAM Regional Representatives
Regional representatives or ambassadors are selected from a cohort of key leaders in addiction medicine/psychiatry from different parts of the world. Nominations will be submitted to the ISAM Regional Council for initial evaluations and preparation to ISAM BOD which will approve (or not) these nominations. Moreover, nominations need to show sound regional professional affiliation, influence, and reputation. Lastly, regional representative positions are reviewed every 3 years by the ISAM Regional Council. The nominees for the regional representative need to be bona fide members of the ISAM.
Here is a list of core roles and expectations of an ISAM regional representative that is achievable in close communications with the ISAM Regional Council co-chairs. In general, the regional representative will act as an ambassador of ISAM in the region.
(1) To identify and develop a list of organisations and key addiction medicine experts
(2) To contact people in their regions (spheres of influence) and to facilitate their ISAM membership process
(3) To interact with ISAM committees and special interest groups in areas interfacing with regional activities with the aim to pursue culture-informed and knowledge-based workstreams globally to ultimately improve clinical care in addiction medicine
(4) To support educational/training/conference activities and materials (perhaps in different languages) in their regions. To participate in such activities taking place in their region on behalf of ISAM as and when nominated by the ISAM for the same
(5) To facilitate development of an understanding for needs and priorities in addiction medicine at a regional levels
(6) To contribute in reflecting regional needs/priorities in the ISAM products including Webinars, Courses, ISAM Textbook, ISAM GEN Global Surveys, Guidelines/Roadmaps and Consensus Statements etc.
(7) To contribute in nominations on a 3 yearly basis for Fellowship status to the ISAM members in the 10 regions
ISAM REGIONAL COUNCIL ACTIVITIES
- First General Assembly of Addiction Medicine Societies (February 2022)
The first general assembly of addiction medicine societies ran with more than 150 attendees and 50 speakers from 40 countries on February 10, 2022.
Here in this meeting, representatives of addiction medicine societies around the world got the chance to introduce themselves and share their status, thoughts, ideas and comments with every other society present in the webinar. All the societies were also introduced with the fundamentals of ISAM-GEN and were invited to take part in the upcoming surveys in the future.
Watch the full recording here: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgJEqKeu9ouEN8Op7tNl_9pAYkpydzGIH
Speakers’ bio sketches and intro to their societies: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz4007cnl4levmp/FirstISAMGeneralAssembly-SpeakersInformation_Ver14.pdf?dl=0
- October 2022: Second General Assembly of Addiction Medicine Societies
The second general assembly of addiction medicine societies was held in person on October 3rd as a preconference program for the ISAM 2022 congress. Addiction medicine societies’ representatives from several countries around the world thereby shared experiences, in two decent panels, on the processes through which addiction medicine societies are formed, developed, and extended as well as exchanging knowledge on how international interactions of such could help towards advancements in the field, proceeded by follow-up discussions.